Tuesday 29 April 2008

Hello Dave


I have a lovely new freelance client who's been putting some nice work my way (including more SODDING WEDDING INVITES). I rebranded a friend of hers' IT company. The company was named after the street where it was based - Blackrock Road. I thought the Blackrock thing was too good a chance to pass up and decided to reference the famous black rock monolith from Arthur C. Clarke's 2001: A Space Odyssey.

The monolith, or TMA-1 as us sci-fi geeks know it, was a representative of a technologically superior race, sent to earth to advance the technological capabilities of early mankind. Which, given that the Blackrock are an IT company, was just asking for it. EVEN better, TMA-1 had very particular proportions 9:4:1, so I kept these for the logo and used a monospaced font and underscore to reference oldstyle computer programming.

End result: Client was very pleased with the outcome, despite not being familiar with the monoliths (cretin).

No comments: